Saturday, February 25, 2012

Brag Time

Rachel
I took Ashlee outside this morning to help me with chores and with milking Rachel.  Ashlee noticed Rachel shivering and asked me what was wrong with her.  I explained that Rachel isnt used to our cold barn and never got her thick winter coat due to being in a warmer barn all winter and not outside like Haley, Glady and Cocoa....so her fur is thinner and she gets colder.  A few minutes later I look over (I am in the middle of milking) and see Ashlee with her coat off and her shirt half way off.  She gave me her shirt to put on Rachel to help keep her warm.  I love this kid.

Cocoa
This is Cocoa.  He is a SaNubian (saanen nubian cross) Weather (castrated male) He is a giant teddy bear who goes into a trance when you brush him or give him a good scratching.

Fiona
Cute little Fiona sucking on my finger ...  there arent many ways to get a baby goat to stay still for a picture...finger sucking and a bottle are pretty much all Ive got  (:

Haley
This is Haley, my 3yr old who thinks she is queen of the castle.  She and Glady (below), who is 5yrs,old, are both pregnant and due to kid in April.  They are very very attached to each other and do not like to share their barn stall with anyone and also do not like sharing me with the other newer goats. When I milk Rachel, they stand up on their hind feet watching me the whole time, begging for attention.  Haley and Glady were my first goats and I totally love them and their stubborn personalities.

Glady



We are enjoying life on our little farm, a year ago if you would have told me that by the end of the year I would be raising 5 Nubian dairy goats, 5 giant rabbits, and a load of chickens....I would have told you that you were off your rocker. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love raising these animals.

I have recently had several people ask me "were you raised on a farm or ranch?" and they are always shocked to learn that I was raised in suburbia in South Jersey.  I credit my desire to raise my animals and to use natural and holistic approaches to nutrition and healing to my mom.

I remember when we first got fiber rabbits, Cinnamon and Sugar I believe were the names of our first two, then we got Antoinette...she would pluck their fur (a fluffy mess) and spin it to make mittens, scarves, sweaters etc.  I remember coming home from school only to find a bath tub full of soaking sheep fleece. She taught us about cleaning the fiber and carding (brushing) it and spinning with both the drop spindle and the spinning wheel.  I loved what I learned (even though I gave my mom a hard time back then...sorry mom)  I want to raise my kids to learn and love Gods creation.  I want them to know how to use plants and animals to survive, thrive, work, heal and learn.  

That is what this blog is all about, a documentation of our experiences.  I hope you enjoy reading, please leave me a comment below and let me know!!!  I hope one day my kids can look back on this and enjoy the fact that we documented some of our day to day life experiences.




2 comments:

  1. Jamie, I love your blog! And I want to raise my kids the same way. I wish we could have neighboring farms! Hehe! It is my dream to one day be on a little farm with goats and chickens.

    ReplyDelete